- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 butternut squash (2-1/2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups 1% milk
Coat a large saucepan with cooking or olive oil. Sweat the onion and add celery in butter until tender.
Stir in the broth, sugar, bay leaf, salt, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon.
Add the butternut and potatoes
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Remove from the heat to cool slightly.
Discard the bay leaf.
And in a blender, puree vegetable mixture in batches. Return to the pan.
Stir in milk. Heat the soup through, but do not boil.