Have it with bread or sticky basmati rice.
But remember to always wash the mussels under cold, running water and discard of any open shells. You can make the base of this dish in advance and the mussels added before serving.
- 1½ kg mussels in shells, debearded and scrubbed
- 2 small onions, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 8 sprigs of thyme 1 bay leaf
- 100ml dry white wine (optional)
- 400ml cream
- 4 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bread crumbs to serve
In a saucepan, soften the onion and garlic in the butter over medium to low heat.
Add the thyme, bay leaf and a splash of wine (optional) , and increase the heat to high.
Add the mussels, cover with the lid and steam for 6 to 10 minutes until the mussels have opened.
Remove and discard the thyme sprigs, bay leaf and any unopened mussels.
Stir in the cream and chopped parsley, and season well.
Remove from the heat, spoon into four large warmed bowls and serve with lots of crusty bread.
Sources: Food Network