Former South African boxing champion Thomas “Tommy Gun” Oosthuizen says he fears for his life following the shooting death of former two-weight world champion Zolani “Last Born” Tete, claiming he is now keeping a record of his concerns on social media.
Oosthuizen made the comments in a series of Facebook posts following Tete’s murder, linking his own fears to what he described as troubling developments within South African boxing. His claims and suspicions have not been established by police, and Tete’s murder remains under investigation.
‘My life could end any moment’
In one of the posts, Oosthuizen said the killing of Tete had left him fearing that he could also be targeted.
“If Zolani got done like this, I know my life could end any moment,” Oosthuizen wrote.
“So I am leaving a record of everything on my Facebook.”
Also Read: Life sentence for Tshwane worker who raped woman in municipal building
Oosthuizen said his promoter, 5th Element Promotions, had been trying to have the concerns of fighters heard.
“Because my promoter 5th Element Promotions, JaNi Hebler Oosthuizen, has gone to every length to try and have our voices be heard,” he wrote.
He went on to claim that Tete had been motivated to pursue his own path in boxing and suggested that his death could be connected to this. He also called for scrutiny of the former world champion’s doping ban.
“Zolani was motivated to do his own thing in boxing and that is why I believe he was targeted,” Oosthuizen wrote.
“Start by investigating his doping ban and I bet you that it would lead you down the rabbit hole.”
However, Oosthuizen provided no evidence for the allegations, and police have not announced any motive for Tete’s killing. The claims should therefore be treated as his personal suspicions and not as established facts.
Tete ambushed outside his Mdantsane home
Tete, 38, was shot dead on Friday evening outside his NU17 home in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape.
Police said he was sitting in his vehicle and waiting for his gate to open when two armed suspects wearing balaclavas emerged and opened fire. A 27-year-old woman who was travelling with him was also shot multiple times and remains in hospital.
Also Read: Ze Nxumalo fights bid to liquidate property empire
Tete reportedly tried to drive into his yard to escape the gunfire but succumbed to his injuries at the scene. Police have opened a murder investigation and the suspects remain at large. The motive for the attack has not yet been established.
Oosthuizen’s post follows another boxer’s death
In the same post, Oosthuizen referred to another boxer who died in a fire in Johannesburg, saying the fighter had been waiting for payment following a bout in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
“Two weeks ago they burned a fighter/boxer in his house in JHB and they claimed he burned himself,” Oosthuizen wrote.
“Funny enough he was still waiting for his $3,000 purse for his fight that he was not paid for and had to hike back from Congo to come and try and get paid.”
The fighter Oosthuizen appeared to be referring to was Congolese professional boxer Roméo Katompa, known as “Bololo”, who died after a fire broke out at his rented accommodation in Yeoville, Johannesburg, in July.
Reports at the time said Katompa, 35, was inside the property when the fire broke out and was unable to escape. Police opened an investigation into the circumstances of the blaze. Katompa’s manager, Raymond Kupula, also rejected claims that the death was linked to xenophobic violence, saying his boxer died in the fire. The cause of the blaze remained under investigation.
Who is Thomas Oosthuizen?
Oosthuizen, better known in boxing as “Tommy Gun”, is a former South African professional boxer who competed internationally and built a reputation as one of the country’s most talented fighters.
A former IBO super-middleweight champion and holder of several regional titles, Oosthuizen competed against prominent opponents during a professional career that included fights in South Africa and abroad.
He was also part of South African boxing promotions and events alongside fellow fighters and promoters, including those connected to the sport’s long-standing fraternity.
In another post, reflecting on a 2017 boxing event, Oosthuizen wrote: “Not even 10 years ago we all stood healthy and ready for ‘GUNSLINGERS’ to go to WAR. This was 2017.”
The former boxer also shared photographs of former fighters and associates, reflecting on how quickly circumstances had changed within the boxing community.

Questions, fears and an active investigation
Oosthuizen’s posts have drawn attention because of the serious concerns he has raised following Tete’s killing.
But while he has suggested possible links between Tete’s death, the former champion’s past doping suspension and broader disputes within boxing, no evidence has publicly been presented to support those allegations.
Tete’s death is being investigated as a murder, and authorities have urged the public not to speculate while detectives search for the gunmen and work to establish a motive.
For now, Oosthuizen says he is speaking publicly because of his fears.
“I’m speaking up for myself now,” he wrote.
“Those that turned away from helping us when we asked and begged for justice… The Lord Jesus will be your judge.”
Also Read: President Mnangagwa’s daughter-in-law Kelsea Tafirenyika rearrested on money-laundering charges
