Deano van Rooyen. Picture: Orlando Pirates

Orlando Pirates have confirmed the departure of defender Deano van Rooyen, bringing an end to the right-back’s two-year spell with the Soweto giants.

The Buccaneers announced on Friday that they had agreed to part ways with the 29-year-old by mutual consent, with the decision coming after discussions between the player and the club.

Mutual decision brings Pirates chapter to an end

Pirates said the departure followed “open conversations” between Van Rooyen and the club, with both parties agreeing that the time was right for him to move on.

“The decision follows open conversations between Deano and the Club, with both sides agreeing that the time is right for him to begin a new chapter in his career,” the club said.

Pirates also paid tribute to the defender’s professionalism during his time at the club.

“At the Club, he delivered exactly what was asked of him. Whether starting or coming off the bench, Deano carried himself as a model professional throughout his time at the club,” the statement added.

The club confirmed that Van Rooyen made more than 50 appearances in the famous black-and-white jersey.

“Orlando Pirates Football Club would like to thank Deano for his contribution and wish him well in his future endeavours,” the club said.

From Stellenbosch to Soweto

Van Rooyen joined Pirates from Stellenbosch FC ahead of the 2024/25 season after establishing himself as one of the more dependable full-backs in the domestic game.

His move to Pirates represented a significant step in a career that had been built largely at Stellenbosch, where he became a prominent figure and captained the side.

When he left Stellenbosch, Van Rooyen described the club as an important part of his life.

“Stellenbosch will always be home, and it was a huge honour and privilege for me to play in front of the crowd at Danie Craven Stadium,” he said at the time.

His arrival at Pirates came with expectations that he could compete for a regular place at right-back and provide defensive stability for a club competing on multiple fronts.

He initially made a strong impact, but his opportunities became more limited during the 2025/26 campaign.

Limited opportunities in final season

Van Rooyen made 14 appearances across all competitions during Pirates’ 2025/26 campaign, as competition for the right-back position intensified.

Kamogelo Sebelebele became the preferred option in the position, while injuries and competition for places also affected Van Rooyen’s involvement.

The defender was also not involved in Pirates’ opening matches of the 2026/27 campaign, despite the club beginning its defence of the Betway Premiership title and continuing its MTN8 campaign.

His departure therefore comes at a time when Pirates are reshaping their squad ahead of another demanding season.

A career that included Bafana recognition

Van Rooyen’s Pirates chapter also included recognition at international level.

After establishing himself in the domestic game, he received his first Bafana Bafana call-up in 2025 and made his international debut during that year.

His spell at Pirates also gave him experience of competing at the highest level of African club football, including the CAF Champions League.

The defender leaves having been part of a successful Pirates era that delivered major domestic honours, although his personal playing time decreased towards the end of his stay.

What comes next for Van Rooyen?

Pirates have not announced a new destination for Van Rooyen, and the defender is now available to pursue his next move.

There has been speculation about where he could go next, particularly given his previous success at Stellenbosch and his experience with Pirates. However, no new club has been officially confirmed.

For Pirates, his departure creates another change to the defensive structure as the club balances its title defence with its ambitions in continental football.

For Van Rooyen, meanwhile, the focus will be on finding a club where he can regain regular playing time and continue a career that has already taken him from Stellenbosch to one of South Africa’s biggest football institutions.

The Buccaneers’ farewell was ultimately one of appreciation rather than controversy, with the club making it clear that the separation was mutually agreed.

After more than 50 appearances in the black and white, Van Rooyen now closes his Pirates chapter and begins another one in his professional career.

Verified by MonsterInsights