Andrew “Benjie” Benjamin has cooked his way into South African television history after being crowned the winner of MasterChef South Africa Season 6.
The 40-year-old home cook from Kimberley in the Northern Cape beat Durban finalist Candice Meth in the tense finale on Sunday, 16 August, walking away with the coveted title and a R1 million cash prize. His victory also made him the first contestant from the Northern Cape to win the competition.
For Benjie, the achievement was about far more than winning a reality television competition.
“I thought I wouldn’t even make it past episode two,” he admitted, crediting his wife for encouraging him to remain in the competition and take it “one episode at a time”.
He said the victory was particularly meaningful because of what it could represent for his family and people from his home province.
“There was a time when I thought that I wouldn’t make it even past episode two,” Benjamin said. “My wife encouraged me to stay on there.”
From high-voltage lines to the MasterChef kitchen
Benjie’s journey is unusual because cooking is not his full-time profession.
The Kimberley-born contestant works in high-voltage electrical line maintenance, dealing with hazardous electricity transmission lines, while cooking has remained a passion outside his day job.
He entered the competition alongside 19 other home cooks and quickly established himself as one of the contestants to watch.
Benjie earned his first Dish of the Day in only the second episode and went on to win seven challenges before reaching the final. One of those victories gave him a valuable 10-minute advantage for the final cook.
Throughout the competition, judges and fellow contestants affectionately nicknamed him “Benjie Baby”.
His playful approach to food also became part of his identity on the show. One of his standout creations was a sophisticated take on two-minute noodles, which he transformed into “Crêpes Suzette Benjette”.
Judge Chef Katlego Mlambo reportedly named it her favourite Benjie dish of the season, while a lamb pie also impressed London-based guest judge Chef Nokx Majozi.
A high-pressure finale
The final challenge saw Benjie go head-to-head with 39-year-old Candice Meth in a two-hour cook-off.
The finalists were tasked with creating a three-course meal that reflected their journeys throughout the competition.
Benjie prepared pan-fried salmon with leeks and white wine sauce as his starter, followed by pork belly with fennel and apple purées, mushy peas and red wine jus.
For dessert, he served meringue, vanilla sponge cake, raspberry coulis, chocolate crème pâtissière and vanilla ice cream.
The pressure was intense, particularly when his decision to bake the apples to intensify their flavour cost him precious time.
But he managed to complete his menu before the clock ran out.
Judges impressed by his final menu
Benjie had already been regarded as a strong contender, but his final performance ultimately convinced the judges that he deserved the title.
Ahead of the final cook, judge Justine Drake described him as a “dark horse”, while Zola Nene called him “laser-focused”.
His final dishes continued to impress.
The judges praised the execution of his salmon, while his pork belly stood out for its balance of flavours.
Nene went as far as describing the main course as something that could be seen “in a fine-dining restaurant”.
That combination of technical ability, creativity and composure ultimately gave Benjie the edge over Meth.
A victory for the Northern Cape
Benjie’s win has also become a source of pride for the Northern Cape, shining a spotlight on the province’s food traditions and homegrown culinary talent.
The new champion hopes his journey will encourage other people from the province to believe in their own abilities.
“We can make great food and compete with the best in the rest of the country,” he said.
He pointed to the diversity of the province, mentioning communities including Roodepan, Springbok, De Aar, Kuruman and the Kalahari as places with their own flavours and cooking traditions.
“Hopefully, my journey gives people the confidence to express themselves in the kitchen, too,” he said.
What’s next for Benjie?
Despite winning R1 million and becoming South Africa’s newest MasterChef, Benjie is not rushing to abandon his career.
He has said he still loves his day job and believes there is room for both his electrical work and his passion for cooking.
“I still love my day job, but there’s a place for both the job and cooking in my life,” he said.
As for his prize money, Benjie has more grounded plans. He wants to make renovations at home and spoil the family members who supported him throughout his journey.
He has also hinted at exploring his love for noodles further, with the possibility of a cookbook centred on the versatile ingredient.
For now, however, Benjie Baby can savour a remarkable achievement – a home cook from Kimberley has conquered one of South Africa’s biggest culinary competitions and brought the MasterChef crown to the Northern Cape for the first time.
MasterChef SA Season 6 in context
The sixth season of MasterChef South Africa premiered in February 2026 and concluded on 16 August after 26 episodes. The competition is built around amateur cooks competing in a series of culinary challenges, with contestants judged on their technical skills, creativity and ability to perform under pressure.
Benjie’s victory therefore represents the culmination of months of competition – and a major milestone for a contestant who entered the kitchen as a passionate home cook and left as South Africa’s latest MasterChef champion.
