The Soweto Kota Festival is returning for its ninth edition with a line-up of local artists set to headline two days of music, food and township culture at the Elkah Cricket Oval in Rockville, Soweto, on September 5 and 6, 2026.
Lamiez Holworthy, Tracy, Mr X, Uncool and Jobe London are among the performers confirmed for the festival, which has become one of Soweto’s major annual entertainment and food events.
Two days of music, food and culture
Organised by SID Entertainment Pty Ltd, the festival is expected to bring together thousands of people for an experience centred around the kota, while giving festivalgoers live performances from some of the country’s popular acts.
“The Soweto Kota Festival is more than an event, it is a celebration of heritage, community, and the entrepreneurial spirit of Soweto,” says founder Sidwell Tshingilane.
“As we head into our 9th year, we’re excited to welcome media, partners, and fans back to experience what makes this festival so special.”
The festival has traditionally attracted audiences across different age groups, despite its strong youth following, with entertainment forming a major part of the weekend alongside the food offering.
Kota vendors take centre stage
About 40 vendors are expected to serve their own versions of the iconic township sandwich, with prices starting from R60.
The kota has evolved from its traditional combination of mince, mashed potatoes and atchar to include ingredients such as chips, cheese, polony and a variety of meats.
“We grew up eating Kota at schools,” says Tshingilane.
For Tshingilane, the festival is also about creating opportunities for small businesses and young people in Soweto. The event employs more than 40 unemployed young people on the festival day, while vendors are given an opportunity to generate income and showcase their businesses to a large audience.
Festival heads towards 10-year milestone
The ninth edition is also expected to build momentum towards the festival’s 10-year celebration in 2027.
The organisers say the event has grown significantly since its launch, attracting about 15,000 visitors in its early years and reaching a record 18,000 attendees in its fifth year.
Last year’s eighth edition reportedly attracted more than 16,000 people across the two days, with 9,000 attendees on Saturday and 7,000 on Sunday, alongside more than 70 kota vendors.
A number of sponsors and partners are backing this year’s festival, including Aromat, Renault, Super Store Dlamini, GoTyme Bank, Standard Bank, PayShap and First Choice Cheese.
Sowetan, Soweto TV and Jozi FM are strategic media partners, while Big Tree Beverages will provide refreshments. PayPal will support the festival’s move towards a cashless environment, with organisers saying only 10% of transactions will still be able to use cash.
Sasko, which was the main sponsor when the festival launched, is expected to return for the 10th anniversary celebration in 2027.
As the festival prepares to welcome thousands of people back to Soweto, the combination of live music, food and community-focused initiatives is expected to make the ninth edition another major fixture on the township’s cultural calendar.