The investigation into the alleged theft and illicit trade of minerals worth about R26 million in Richards Bay has taken a significant step forward after police arrested a man they believe played a central role in coordinating the operation and paying those allegedly involved in stealing the valuable cargo.

Sakhile Cyril Mbuyazi, 44, became the 12th suspect linked to the case when members of the SAPS National Organised Crime Task Team arrested him on Tuesday after obtaining a warrant for his arrest. Police allege that Mbuyazi acted as a coordinator in the theft and illicit trade of minerals in and around Richards Bay, placing him higher up within the alleged criminal network.

Police allege Mbuyazi coordinated payments

Investigators claim that Mbuyazi’s alleged role went beyond participating in the movement of stolen minerals. Police believe he was responsible for paying individuals involved in the thefts, potentially revealing how the alleged syndicate recruited and rewarded people operating at different points in the supply chain.

Mbuyazi appeared in the Empangeni Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday on a charge of theft of minerals. He was remanded in custody until August 28, when he is expected to formally apply for bail.

The arrest comes as authorities continue to investigate what they describe as a sophisticated organised crime operation targeting mineral products in the Richards Bay area.

A breakthrough in the broader investigation

The case dates back to March 2024, when police discovered an abandoned truck loaded with zircon minerals in the KwaMbonambi area. A subsequent intelligence-driven operation led investigators to a property in Isipingo, Durban, where 500 bags of zircon, chlorine and other minerals belonging to Richards Bay Minerals were recovered. The minerals were estimated to be worth R26 million.

The investigation has since resulted in multiple arrests on charges including theft of minerals, money laundering and racketeering. Earlier this month, truck driver Sphamandla Mdletshe was sentenced to 10 years’ direct imprisonment after entering into a plea agreement with the State.

Police vow to dismantle syndicate

Acting National Police Commissioner Lieutenant General Puleng Dimpane described Mbuyazi’s arrest as an important development in the investigation.

“The arrest of this suspect is an important development in advancing the investigation into the theft and illicit trade of minerals in and around Richards Bay,” Dimpane said.

“We remain committed to dismantling criminal syndicates involved in organised crime and ensuring that those who participate in the illegal exploitation and trade of our mineral resources are identified, arrested and brought before the courts.”

Dimpane added that investigators would continue tracing and recovering assets allegedly linked to the operation.

“We will continue to intensify our efforts to disrupt organised criminal networks and recover assets linked to criminal activities,” she said.

The remaining accused in the broader case are expected to return to the Richards Bay Regional Court on August 27 for a pre-trial conference, while Mbuyazi’s bail application is scheduled for the following day.

Verified by MonsterInsights