State presents fresh allegations in bail hearing. Tshwane Metro Police Department (TMPD) officer Peter Nonyane and his wife, attorney Charlotte Tibana, faced a major setback in their bid for freedom after the State opposed their bail applications in the Polokwane Magistrate’s Court on Friday.
Nonyane, 36, popularly known as “Gagash”, and Tibana, 33, are facing fraud and money-laundering allegations linked to deceased estates. The case has attracted significant attention because of the couple’s high-profile lifestyle and allegations surrounding the purchase of a luxury Mercedes-Benz AMG G63.
During Friday’s bail proceedings, State witness Constable Thobejane testified against the couple. According to SABC News, the witness alleged that Tibana attempted to interfere with the investigation after learning that she was being investigated.
Thobejane told the court that Tibana allegedly contacted his commander, Lieutenant-Colonel Makoa, and requested a meeting.
“Accused number one after she learned that there’s a case against her, she called my commander,” Thobejane told the court, according to SABC News.
The State is relying on such allegations in arguing that releasing the accused could create a risk of interference with witnesses or the investigation.
Allegations widen beyond original R1.75m claim
The case initially centred on allegations that approximately R1.75 million was unlawfully withdrawn from two deceased estates.
The National Prosecuting Authority previously said Tibana, who acted as executor of the estates, allegedly authorised and facilitated transfers from estate accounts. Prosecutors allege that portions of the money were subsequently channelled through Nonyane and used in the purchase of a pre-owned Mercedes-Benz AMG G63 worth about R1.65 million.
The State has now presented allegations concerning three estate accounts and more than R4 million allegedly defrauded between 2024 and 2026, according to SABC News.
The prosecution also alleges that the couple attempted to acquire a luxury vehicle by presenting themselves as beneficiaries of one of the estates.
These remain allegations before court and neither Nonyane nor Tibana has been convicted of any offence.
How the investigation started
The investigation reportedly came to light after concerns were raised around a luxury vehicle transaction at a Pretoria dealership.
The NPA said about R1.65 million was allegedly used towards the purchase of the Mercedes-Benz AMG G63. Investigators allege that the money originated from estate accounts and was moved in a way that prejudiced the lawful beneficiaries.
Nonyane was arrested in Pretoria on 14 August, while Tibana handed herself over to police in Polokwane several days later. They subsequently appeared in the Polokwane Magistrate’s Court and were remanded in custody.
The couple had been scheduled to bring their formal bail applications on 21 August after the matter was postponed from their initial appearance.
TMPD moves against Nonyane
The allegations have also triggered consequences within the Tshwane Metro Police Department.
TMPD confirmed Nonyane’s arrest and indicated that an internal disciplinary process had been opened. The department has also issued a notice of intention to suspend him, according to SABC News.
The criminal case and any disciplinary proceedings are separate processes, meaning the outcome of the criminal matter will ultimately be determined by the court.
The NPA has previously stressed that financial crimes involving deceased estates are particularly serious because they can deprive beneficiaries of money to which they are legally entitled.
NPA regional spokesperson Mashudu Malabi said the prosecution of such offences was important to protecting the integrity of deceased-estate administration and holding accountable people who allegedly abuse positions of trust.
Bail battle now turns on State concerns
The latest developments mean the bail hearing is no longer simply about whether Nonyane and Tibana have fixed addresses and family or community ties.
The State is placing particular emphasis on the seriousness of the allegations, the amount of money involved, the alleged attempts to interfere with investigations and the potential impact on witnesses and the ongoing probe.
The court must ultimately decide whether the accused have made out a case for release in accordance with South African bail law.
For now, Nonyane and Tibana remain accused persons and are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
The investigation by the Hawks and other authorities continues, while the court process will determine whether the State can ultimately prove the allegations against them beyond reasonable doubt. , The case has now been postponed to Monday, 24 August 2026, for the bail proceedings to continue.

