A 41-year-old woman accused of being involved in the alleged trafficking of drug-manufacturing ingredients valued at approximately R34 million. Picture: Magnific

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in Limpopo has welcomed the Musina Magistrates’ Court’s decision to deny bail to a 41-year-old woman accused of being involved in the alleged trafficking of drug-manufacturing ingredients valued at approximately R34 million.

Nonkululeko Goodhope Khoza, who is the fourth accused in the matter, was denied bail on Tuesday after the State opposed her application. The court found that she posed a flight risk and was likely to commit further offences if released.

The case centres on an alleged cross-border drug trafficking operation in which the consignment was reportedly transported from Malawi to Johannesburg before being intercepted at the Beitbridge Port of Entry in Limpopo.

R34m consignment intercepted at Beitbridge

According to the NPA, the alleged drug ingredients were being transported on 27 May 2026 when Border Management Authority (BMA) officials stopped and searched a truck belonging to Khoza at the Beitbridge border crossing.

The consignment, allegedly worth about R34 million, was reportedly concealed inside the truck.

The interception led to a wider investigation and the arrest of additional suspects. Khoza and her co-accused, Ogbaugu Abumchukwu Victor, were arrested after three other suspects had already been taken into custody.

The earlier accused are Malawian nationals Mabuchi Dayo Kumwenda, 35, and Thandie Phiri, 26, as well as 46-year-old Zambian national Philip Chanza.

The NPA said Khoza and Victor face charges including dealing in drugs, dealing in illicit goods, money laundering and the acquisition of proceeds of defined crime. Victor also faces an additional charge relating to allegedly being in South Africa on fabricated documents.

Court finds woman a flight risk

Khoza brought her bail application by way of affidavit, seeking to be released while the case is being finalised.

The State opposed the application.

In refusing bail, the court found that Khoza presented a flight risk and was likely to commit further offences if released. The court also considered allegations that she had attempted to bribe a police official.

The court ultimately found that Khoza had failed to demonstrate that the interests of justice permitted her release on bail.

The ruling means she will remain in custody while the investigation continues.

NPA welcomes bail denial

Limpopo NPA spokesperson Mashudu Malabi welcomed the ruling, saying the decision was important in ensuring that serious allegations involving organised crime are properly dealt with through the courts.

“The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in Limpopo welcomes the ruling handed down by the Musina Magistrates’ Court today, which denied bail to Nonkululeko Goodhope Khoza (41), Accused 4 in a matter involving the alleged trafficking of drug ingredients valued at approximately R34 million,” Malabi said.

She added that the suspects were allegedly transporting the consignment from Malawi to Johannesburg when BMA officials intercepted the truck at Beitbridge.

“The consignment was reportedly concealed in a truck belonging to Khoza,” she said.

The NPA said the successful opposition to bail demonstrated its commitment to prosecuting people accused of serious offences and protecting the integrity of the criminal justice system.

“The successful opposition to bail underscores the NPA’s commitment to ensuring that individuals accused of serious offences are brought before the courts and that the integrity of the criminal justice system is upheld,” Malabi said.

Case returns to court

The NPA also commended the BMA and the investigating team for intercepting the alleged consignment and pursuing the subsequent investigation.

The authority said it remained committed to working with law enforcement agencies to combat drug trafficking and organised crime, particularly criminal networks operating across borders.

The case has been postponed to 27 August 2026 for further investigation and to deal with the bail applications of the remaining accused.

The accused remain presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Verified by MonsterInsights