Mandoza the iconic South African musician, is renowned for his contributions to the music industry. However, there are some intriguing and lesser-known aspects of his life that showcase his unique personality and passions. Discover the top 5 things you didn’t know about this beloved artist.
- Cartoon Enthusiast: Mandoza’s musical prowess is well-known, but did you know he had a soft spot for cartoons? He cherished mornings spent watching animated shows with his kids – he knew the words to Phineas and Ferb’s catchy theme song by heart. Interestingly, his stage name ‘Mandoza’ was inspired by the cartoon character Fat Dog Mandoza, (though some sources suggest a different origin).
- Culinary Delights: Beyond his musical talents, Mandoza had a hearty appetite for traditional South African cuisine. He had a special love for meat dishes, embracing the rich flavors of his culture. This culinary passion was a reflection of his appreciation for his heritage and a bond he shared with his family over delicious meals.
- Stylish Persona: Mandoza was not only a musical trendsetter but also a fashion-forward individual. He had an undeniable love for clothing, frequently changing outfits throughout the day, even when he was at home. His fashion favourites included the Diesel clothing brand and Emporio Armani sunglasses, while his extensive watch collection showcased his keen eye for accessories.
- Spiritual Connection: Amidst the glitz and glamour of the entertainment world, Mandoza maintained a deep spiritual connection. He was described by friends and family as a man of prayer, often engaging in heartfelt moments of reflection with his loved ones before embarking on performances or tours. This spiritual practice was a significant aspect of his life that resonated with those close to him.
- Heartfelt Traditions: Mandoza was not only an artistic force but also a family man who treasured traditions. He initiated the cherished Tshabalala family tradition of “take-away Fridays,” a practice that is upheld by his family to this day. This heartwarming ritual involves sharing take-out meals with his family, symbolizing his commitment to preserving bonds and creating lasting memories.
Mandoza’s legacy extends beyond his musical accomplishments, revealing a multifaceted individual with a love for family, spirituality, and even the simple joys of cartoons and cuisine. As we remember his remarkable journey, these lesser-known facets provide a more comprehensive glimpse into the life of this South African music legend.
Tune in to Episode 2 of Nkalakatha: The Life of Mandoza, on Wednesdays at 19:00 CAT, exclusively on BET Africa (DStv Channel 129), viewers can catch the repeat on Sundays at 19:00 or watch the biopic on DStv Now and DStv Catch Up. Witness the early chapters of the legend’s life and be moved by the indomitable spirit that would go on to touch the lives of millions.