Today, Netflix dropped the official trailer for the streaming platform’s latest local original series, JIVA! about a vibrant dancer, Ntombi (Noxolo Dlamini) who does everything in her power to live out her passion.
”JIVA! Is a story of freedom to follow one’s hopes and dreams.” Noxolo shares on the series. Set against the backdrop of Mzansi’s dance culture, expect to experience South Africa like you haven’t before.
Speaking about the series and what it means to her, showrunner Busisiwe Ntintili said, “JIVA! has been a true labour of love. Producing an entire series during a global pandemic was no small feat. But the ridiculously talented cast and crew poured every ounce of creativity into this project. Because when you have a dream, nothing can stop you. And that is ultimately the message of JIVA! To dala what you must! Fight for your dreams!”
The series choreographer, Bontle Modiselle added, “With the release of JIVA! close by, I am a ball of nerves and a melting pot of excitement and anticipation. There’s a lot of culture, creativity, dance and story in JIVA! and to see African excellence celebrated on a global platform is incredible. I can’t wait for everyone to see it – world, this is US!”
Lead actress, Noxolo Dlamini spoke about her excitement for JIVA”s launch and said, “Here is our gift to you South Africa and the world! We hope to inspire as well as entertain. May we make you proud Mzansi”
JIVA! is a fun and energy-packed drama series that follows the life of the talented street dancer Ntombi, who while juggling the demands of a dead end job, family responsibility and a rocky love life realises that her dance moves could be her ticket out of her working class neighbourhood in Durban. But first, she must overcome her fears, beat her rivals and sort out the chaos that is her family.
JIVA! launches this June 24th! Watch the trailer HERE.
CREW and cast
- Directors: Scottnes L Smith, Mandla Dube, Busisiwe Ntintili
- Showrunner: Busisiwe Ntintili (Happiness is Four Letter Word)
- Writers: Busisiwe Ntintili and Bakang Sebatjane
- Choreographers: Tom London and Bontle Modiselle
- Producers: Busisiwe Ntintili, Adam Friedlander and Tebogo Maila
- Key Cast: Noxolo Dlamini (Sarafina, The Lion King), Candice Modiselle (The Queen and Generations: The Legacy), Zazi Kunene (Moya), Stella Dlangalala, Sne Mbatha, Prince Grootboom, Given Stuurman (Invictus and Scandal), Zamani Mbatha (Rhythm City and Isithembiso), Anga Makubalo (Generations and Isidingo)